April 5, 2010

Print Competition

I'm not sure what happened to March, it came and went so fast and I know I did a lousy job keeping our blog and facebook up to date so I have now gotten another someone to help me do just that. Between the two of us, we will keep you informed about what's happening at the studio.
One of the big things that happened in March was our Idaho Professional Photography Convention in Boise. It's always fun to spend a few days visiting with fellow photographers from around the state, listening and learning from great speakers and entering the annual print competition. This year, I had four entries that placed.
"Pucker Up Baby" was taken from little Emma's 6 month session. She was so full of expression! Her image placed 2nd in the Portrait Category.


I had just finished photographing the dancers for the "Wizard of Oz" advertising posters when I decided at the last minute to enter that image into the Commercial category. I'm glad that I did, it ended up placing 2nd. The production is the 14th and 15th of May but I know the time is not right. I just added a time so I could complete the image for competition but there will be lots of posters around town to let you know the exact time.

The following image was taken in Ohio when we were visiting our son Chet and his family. We had planned on spending the day at the "Historic Mansion" but when we arrived we found out that they were closed. Soooo disappointing . . . but as we looked around we saw a young man taking care of the gardens so we decided to ask him if we could spend some time photographing on the grounds and to our surprise, he said "of course" and even let us into a couple of the private gardens. It was our lucky day and the best thing about it - there were no people to work around and I was able to photograph until we wore out our two little granddaughters, their Dad and their Grandpa.

This image, titled "Waiting" took first in the Unclassified Category and to my delight it also received the highly coveted Kodak Gallery Award and can now be submitted into the National Gallery Award competition this summer. I was extremely excited about the Gallery Award.


Idaho has a Finished Product Category so I took this Canvas Wrap off of our wall as we went out the door to enter into that category. It ended up being the highest scoring print and placed first.


All in all, I think we did fairly good this year. We always appreciate your willingness to let us enter your images in competition and our other advertising pieces. We have the best clients around!

0 comments:

Post a Comment